Wednesday, March 4, 2009

4th March '09



It's kind of odd to come all the way to Mexico and find someone making really good spear tips of all styles, but kind of nice, too; it fits with choosing here for such intensive training. I'm looking forward to fitting and working with the one I've bought...

Well, we've covered a lot of ground these last few weeks, enough to realise that we could easily have been here for two years (or more) getting deeper and deeper into Tai Chi. Just as well it wasn't for that long, though, isn't it, Cher?! I'm very happy that we have such wonderful students with a deep desire to research and study this amazing art. The next few years are going to be amazing!
Looking back over the time here so far the study has kind of been the reverse of how most Tai Chi is taught in the west - for example, we're finally about to study 'the form'. What we've been putting in place, though, has been the foundation of what the form is for, rather than asking that as a question later, so we've been doing lots of principles applied to partner and solo practice in pushing hands, sabre and sword. I think that part of the joy of Tai Chi is it's depth and challenge, almost as much as that's part of the challenge. This afternoon we'll be at the terraces starting the 108...

It's getting quite warm here now, maybe reaching late 20's in the day. Still chilly at night, though, so although it's been cold in Brighton (is it still that way?) I've been quite glad that I brought my gloves. Nearly had to wear them, some mornings... And do I miss the rain? A bit, strangely, it's very dry here. No seagulls, though - we have egrets instead! They're nesting above the terraces so I'm trying to collect some feathers to bring back.

No comments:

Post a Comment